Cullman County Schools Social Worker

My name is Shalandra "Shay" Whaley and I am the Elementary (K-5) Social Worker for the Cullman County School System.  I possess a Bachelors of Science in Early Childhood Development from the University of Alabama and a Masters of Science in Counseling Psychology from Alabama A & M University. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Alabama as well as a  National Board Certified Counselor (NCC).  I am a former preschool teacher and mental health therapist.  I have worked in Cullman for 5 years and love this community as my own.  I work with students at all 13 K-5 schools in the county to teach them skills that will benefit them as they grow into young adults.  I conduct group and individual services to teach topics including but not limited to coping skills, social skills and bullying prevention, and self esteem/self care.  I serve as a resource for the students and families of this county to ensure that all basic needs of food, clothing, and shelter are met as well as emotional needs.  In addition, I respond to crisis situations that threaten the safety and well being of our students and families.  My goal as a school social worker is to ensure that students and families have access to resources and support that will benefit them in school and in society.   

Notice of Non-discrimination

The Cullman County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:

April Tucker (Title IX Coordinator)

PO Box 1590

Cullman, AL 35056

Tiffanye Mitchell (504 Coordinator)

17600 US Hwy 31 N

Cullman, AL 35058


The Cullman County Board of Education is committed to ensuring all information placed on its website is accessible to individuals with disabilities in compliance with requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Title II). If you have a disability and need assistance accessing website content or if you would like to report inaccessible content, please contact the webmaster at For information about how to file a complaint under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II, please see CCBOE’s grievance procedure here

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.